Community FAQs
Welcome to the Turtle Creek Village FAQ section. We’ve tried to add some of the most commonly asked questions and answers here. If you have a topic you think should be added, submit a suggestion to the web admin

I want to paint my front door/house a different color. Do I need approval for that?

Yes. Anything you want to do that changes the exterior appearance of your property requires ACC approval. This includes adding or removing plants or trees, changing a paint color, putting up shutters, putting in a window unit, etc. There are a few exceptions though, so refer to the most current ACC Fast Track Guidelines
Per our Declaration: 
Section 5.05. Alteration or Removal of Improvements:
Any construction, other than normal maintenance, which in any way alters the exterior appearance of any Improvement, or the removal of any Improvement shall be performed only with the prior written approval of the Architectural Committee.
if you want to request approval for a project from the Architectural Committee, you’ll need the current ACC Modification Request Form. See Architecture Committee.

I need to repaint. How can I get paint information for my house.

Per theACC Fast Track Guidelines, repainting the same color does not need prior approval. You may be able to get your home’s information (paint colors, flooring information, cabinet colors, etc.) from the Warranty Department at DR Horton.  Call 512-345-4663 and select the option for the warranty department.
See Architecture Committee for the current ACC Modification Request Form.
Note: The earliest phases of Turtle Creek (the oldest sections on Prairie Rock, Monodale, and Thompson) were built by Milburn Homes.  DR Horton acquired the development in around 2007 (give or take).  DR Horton may or may not still have the parts and paint information for the older homes, but not in their system. We were told the information is in a scanned contract in a folder named "Purge". They have to manually dig for the info. The contact could not tell me when or if the file will be deleted, but that information could go away at any time.  DR Horton, ant one time, has/had all your home's information for homes they built after 2007, including paint colors, floor types and color, cabinet information, and more. 

Is a Townhome the same as a Condo when it comes to insurance?

The answer is no.  Per the Notice of Service Area document that defines the Lookout Tree section and the Notice of Addition to Service Area document that adds the Tumlinson Fort section, Townhome owners are responsible for 100% replacement-cost insurance coverage.   It is common for attached units like the townhomes or condos to be covered by the Association as far as the dwelling/structure is concerned, but that is not how the builder set us up in our governing documents.  The Association only purchases insurance for common areas.  Townhome owners are required to carry 100% replacement cost coverage to ensure that all units affected by a loss can be rebuilt.  Below is the wording from the Service Area Subordinate Declarations that govern insurance requirements.

Do we have community garage sales?

The Recreation Committee has tentatively set the last weekend in May and the first weekend in September. Spring and Fall... good times for cleaning out! 

The committee usually posts the sale on the neighborhood FB page, NextDoor, TCV community website calendar, etc. They also hang banners on the fence near each main entrance on AW Grimes on the day of the sale. Anyone can post ads to help promote the sale, or put up additional signs for your street. A neighborhood garage sale benefits all who participate. 
Different sections also have different home types. Some people host their sale in the garage and front-facing driveway.  Others host in their alley-side garage and parking pad. Whatever works best for your setup, but this means you may need signage to help identify your home.
You are - of course - welcome to have your own sale anytime. You just might get more traffic on the group sale date.

I reported a violation last week. Why has nothing been done?

Violations are frustrating for a couple of reasons. You can see more about the process, including a flow chart, on the Violations Process page. 
Hopefully this will help explain.  When a violation is reported, it has to be verified.  If a photo is submitted either by email or on the Smartwebs resident portal, the violation can be immediately confirmed.  Without a photo, confirmation waits for the next scheduled drive-thru inspection. Once confirmed, a letter can be sent. See How to report a suspected violation
When you submit a violation, you could be the first reporter or the violation may already be in process. If you call to ask about it, the management company cannot give you any information as it pertains to another owner’s account. All we can say is that the violation has been noted.  
Sometimes we send letters and owners just don’t care, until we get to the stage where we can impose consequences like fines. Sometimes owners may contact the management company about special or extenuating circumstances. In those instances, the Board has to determine how to work with the owner to resolve an issue. All of this happens without any information given to the reporting (and definitely frustrated) owner. 
Once we get past the initial courtesy letter, Texas Property Code requires us to send letters via certified mail, and we also send by email. This is required so there is tracking of the letter. Some owners think if they ignore the certified notice, they can claim that they weren’t notified. Once the Post Office makes the first certified attempt, the attempt is recorded and maintained with the Post Office tracking service. Texas Property Code considers the recorded delivery attempt adequate proof that the owner was notified. 
Texas Property Code also requires that we allow an owner a “reasonable amount of time” to correct a violation. Vague much? Typical process is that once a letter is sent, the same violation can be reported again 10 days after the letter is mailed.  Meanwhile, unless the owner cures the violation on his own, the reporter thinks nothing is happening. That isn’t the case. Violation letters are sent, but sometimes it takes multiple letters and fines for an owner to take the violation seriously. 
Lawn violations follow the Force Mow Resolution process, which gives the Association power to act quicker than the violation process allows.  But from the perspective of a frustrated owner, it will never be fast enough. 
To summarize, the Association addresses violations as quickly and aggressively as the law allows. It never happens as fast as owners would want.  So we understand the frustration. Sometimes you have to report something multiple times. 
If your question isn’t answered on the website, contact the management company

Replacement of Street Trees vs Yard Trees

Street Trees
Street trees are the trees between the sidewalk and the curb, and they belong to the owner.  Street trees are required by our PUD contract with the city.
Per section 7.04 (d) of our DCCR document,
The individual homeowner shall be responsible for the irrigation and routine maintenance of the trees and sod located in front of Lots that are situated within the portion of the public right-of-way between sidewalks and the curb. Routine maintenance includes replacement when needed.  
Per section 7.04 (b) of our DCCR document,
Street trees include suitable shade tree varieties. The following tree species are permitted: (i) Burr Oak; (ii) Cedar Elm; (iii) Chinese (Lacebark) Elm; (iv) Chinese Pistache; (v) Chinquapin Oak; (vi) Live Oak; (vii) Monterey Oak; (viii) Pecan; (ix) Shumard Oak; and (x) Texas Red Oak. Additional tree species may be used with the approval of the City Urban Forester. Permission to remove and not replace a street tree also requires approval of the City Urban Forester. As of September 2019, the City Urban Forester has not approved any requests not to replace.
This topic is also addressed by the Street Tree Replacement Resolution.
Yard Trees
As of September 2019, we have found no list if approved yard trees in our governing documents. But the City of Round Rock has an approved list of trees (see Appendix B of the Tree Technical Manual: Standards and Specifications). If a different species of tree is desired, the Board recommends checking out other yards and choosing a tree that is already used in the neighborhood. If choosing a different species of tree than the tree to be replaced, replacement requires approval by the Architecture Committee